Anyway, part of me has also been putting it off because I don't want to "just" run the Army 10 miler: I want to do well. If I'm preggo I can't run really hard. And now am I not only wondering if I should hold up so I can run the 10 miler, but I am now thinking I might hold off so I can run the Philly Marathon...and actually run hard. Well, I mean, run at least a 8:30 pace. And yes, this would qualify me for Boston. But I don't even know if I'd be able to run this hard for the marathon. My one and only I ran about a 9 min pace. But that was 3 years ago. But for that trainup I did zero "speed work." All of my races were at an "easy" pace.
Is it dumb to hold off getting preggo for these reasons?? I mean I have other things to think about, too. We will most likely move next summer (government work...yay). So timing the baby into that is also critical. Just too many things to think about :-)
2 comments:
Well, this is so hard! At first I remember wanting to plan it around the races I wanted to do, and then I just wanted to get pregnant and figured there was always the next year. But I think I'll be in the same boat as you and try to plan around the races for #2. It kind of worked out for #1! Do what makes you happy! You can qualify for Boston and postpone until the following year.. also it will probably get harder for us to train and be motivated with 2 kids, right? Good luck deciding!
I say, if you are still having some pain from the prior pregnancy that you should wait until you heal. I am glad that you posted this, though, as I am still having some pain. My groin still aches sometimes after a long, hard run. And, ahem, hubby and I have not yet had pain free sex. Seriously. Baby's now almost 10 months old. Wait until after the race, wait until you are ready. The first few months are so hard. I'm trying to make the same decision myself. Do I start trying after MCM/Richmond marathon? Do I start trying after a spring marathon? I tend to think that I should try sooner rather than later b/c of the fertility issues. Oh, and I've heard that the optimal amount of time for the woman's body to heal is 16 months plus.
Post a Comment