Thursday, July 22, 2010

22 weeks and SPD issues

Yesterday I was 22 weeks pregnant. Hard to believe I only have 4 months to go! But unfortunately yesterday I started to have some major issues with SPD (Symphesis Pubis Disorder) again. I deep down knew I'd have issues with this again during pregnancy #2 since I had issues with it on the first one and for the 7 months following the delivery. I'm so bummed to be going through this again. Getting out of bed is so hard for me. And walking is just downright painful; about every two steps I get a shooting pain in my groin and about double over. Last pregnancy I brought up the issue with my OBs and they always told me "oh, welcome to pregnancy; that's just a lovely part of it all." But after having the pain for 6 months post-delivery I decided it just wasn't normal. Finally went to a chiro and she fixed the problem with a few adjustments. Prognosis: misaligned pelvis/pubic bone.

So this time I didn't wait long before I decided that I had to go to the chiropractor again because I KNEW that I most likely had a misaligned pelvis, once again. Sure enough that's what it is. The adjustments to fix the problem are NOT fun to go through. Basically the chiro places her hand on your pubic bone and slams down on it until it goes back into place. To say it hurts like hell is an understatement. I left the office able to walk without pain and was so happy. But the second I got out of the car after a 10 minute car ride the pain was back. So frustrating! Now I have to go back to endure more pain. I sure as hell hope it doesn't keep slipping out of place because that will make for a LONG 4 months.

If you have this pain during pregnancy please see a chiro or an osteopath. Here is a great article that talks about SPD. The author swears that this pain isn't something you should have to endure and isn't something that is normal during pregnancy.

The downside of having a misaligned pelvis, according to the article, is that they recommend a totally natural birth and to use certain birthing positions over others as to reduce the chance of even more issues in your pubic symphysis. I'm seeing a midwife practice this time so hopefully that helps with the issue. I know I'll be bringing this up at the next appointment!

The most frustrating thing is it seems some people are just more susceptible than others. An interesting side note: it seems Scandinavians have an increased number of women who have the problem. Hmm, maybe that's where I get it :-)

Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone else has had pubic pain during their pregnancy. I waited far too long after the last pregnancy to get the issue fixed and I don't want others to do the same thing! Please see someone about the issue and see if there is anything you can do to get it fixed.


2 comments:

Rebecca DeWire said...

Your SPD issue sounds horrible! That really stinks that you are experiencing it again with this pregnancy. I hope you have a magical recovery from that so the last 4 months aren't torture.

N.D. said...

this sounds like a nightmare - feel better. Ugh!