Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pre-Race and Race Nutrition

I'm curious to see what everyone eats before their runs. I was doing a bagel and peanut butter but I am not sure that is enough since last weekend I was starved before I started the run. Might have to try something different!

And I was doing a gel and water during my run...started at 30 mins and then every 30 after. BUT now that it is colder out it seems that drinking the water with the gel seems to be too much because I had to stop to pee twice on my long run. Does anyone else have any race nutrition plans that don't include so much water? Or maybe I don't have to drink so much water with the gel...need to work on that this weekend. I only have a few longer runs left to work on this stuff so I better get it figured out before the big day! :-)

2 comments:

RunningMama said...

I think I might run on Sat, but I'll let you know tomorrow. I'm going to do 20 this weekend. Re: nutrition, I tend to eat A LOT the day before and then will do:
--bagel w/ PB and a banana OR
--1-2 servings of steel cut oats w/ banana and strawberries and walnuts

I've have REALLY awesome runs after the oatmeal...it might just be a coincidence, but I'm sticking with it!

Re: gels: I've been doing Gu Chomps for the 20 mile runs. Haven't figured out how much to do during the marathon yet.

N.D. said...

I do toast and PB - I can't eat much before running. I use whatever I can during the run but wait till I feel hungry. I 've no good advice