Where to start, where to start. I had my long run yesterday and as I wrote earlier I was deciding on running with a group or not. Well, I decided I would of course when I learned that I could meet someone there! Why not, right? And by meet I mean meet one of the bloggers I follow. I'll first preface this by saying I was really, really excited for this run because I really thought I'd be kicking its ass. I had two great runs (albeit short) on Friday and Saturday. I felt awesome. Like I could run for miles. So I thought I"d have a great run on Sunday. I ran both easy at a 9 min pace, but my HR was only at about 60-65% so I thought I"d feel great and might even push my planned 9:00 pace to about 8:30 to 8:45 for a bulk of the run and then push it out to a 8:15-8:00 for a few miles.
Now....let me get back to why it was the worst run ever. All day Saturday I was just in a pissy mood. I am soooooo sick of my husband's current assignment and am really ready for him to be done with it but I know we still have at least 6 more months of this shitty situation. To say I HATE his job right now is an understatement. I am sick of carrying everything on my shoulders. Most days I handle it ok; I understand and get it that it is my job as a stay-at-home mom. But every couple months I have a day like I did Saturday. And it doesn't top it off that he is sick right now (and only home for a few days). So much for helping out around here! So Saturday night I went to bed early so I'd be well rested for the run. I couldn't sleep. too much on my mind and I was still pissed at the hubby. So I started talking to the hubby about it and needless to say we had some lively conversations...err...arguments. Hubby isn't the worst husband ever. He does help out around here when he can. He tries. Most of the time. It's more his jobs fault than it is his at this point. Anyway, enough bitchin' about that.
Back to the run.....here is a recap and a list of my possible mistakes that made it so crappy...
MISTAKE numero one: I didn't fall asleep until about 12:30 1:00 at least because I was so bothered by it all. So...up and at 'em at 5:30. I get up, make my bagel and PB. Had a half a cup of coffee.
MISTAKE numero two: I was only able to eat 3/4 of the bagel because I was nervous about meeting the running group. I know, I am retarded. I'm way more of an introvert than an extrovert. I hopped in the car a little later than I planned. I knew the route because I googled it earlier so I could do a little recon since I hate relying on my GPS alone. And wouldn't you know that all this prep AND having a GPS would do me no good?
MISTAKE numero three: I made two wrong turns and was 10 minutes late because of it. I got to the parking lot just in time to see the group heading out. So freakin' frustrating!!!!! And since no one knew me I didn't feel like yelling out at them asking them to stop. Not a great way to meet a group :-). So.....I sat in my car pissed at myself for my shitty driving skills. I then get out and get ready to go.
MISTAKE numero four: Hop on the trail only to discover my stupid footpod isn't working. I hate doing my long runs without being able to track my pace. But in the back of my mind I'm thinking maybe I can catch the group if I run fast enough.
MISTAKE numero five: I went out way too fast...went out about a half a mile and then realized I was on the wrong trail. CRAP! At this point I decide I might as well just run back to the parking lot and get a quarter from the car to see if I can reset my foot pod. Tried for about 5 mins and then decided it wasn't happening. So I head out again, and at least on the right trail this time. But at this point I should have been about 20 minutes into my run. I failed to remember this little point and didn't account for this in my nutrition plan. I should have eaten one of the bananas I brought with me. But I didn't. And I pretty much bonked since I waited till I was 30 mins into my run to start taking my gels. Ugg.
I felt like shit. I was so frustrated and upset. I didn't want to run 20 miles by myself. Luckily it is REALLY scenic and pretty on the trail. But I am not kidding when I say I had to push myself the entire run. There was no runner's high on this run. My heart rate SUCKED. Ya know that low HR I had on my two previous runs...ya, nowhere in site for this run. I was running a "slow" 9:20 pace and my HR was at about 70-72%. My legs felt so heavy and my heart rate was shit.
And to top it off I almost twisted my ankle like three times during the run. Stupid rocks and whatever kind of nut shells were on the trail. :-) I'm pretty sure that whatever wildlife ran for their dear lives when they heard me curse as loud as I did!!!
So lessons learned from this run: leave on time...and really, really watch my GPS. Eat more for breakfast. And don't let things get to me so much!! Hopefully I'll be able to meet my blogger friend some other time!!!!
Oh and to top off my shitty day...I got home and started the water to take an ice bath. Go downstairs to get the bag of ice I bought the night before and the icemaker full of ice (our water doesn't get very cold here). Put in the bag of ice and go out to take my clothes off and get my pumpkin spice latte and come back to discover all of the ice melted. Think to myself that it's weird it melted so quickly....put my hand in to discover that I had the HOT water on and not the cold. Dope!!! Yup, that pretty much topped off my day folks :-).
But the sun is shining today so here is hoping to a great week!!!!!
2 comments:
Oh man - first of all, I wish we were neighbors. Just like you, I get Fing pissed off maybe once every 2 weeks and just yell at husband about him doing jack shit and me doing everything. I bitched all weekend actually so for 2 days straight. Annoying! And how you were nervous to meet the group, I'd be too. We sound alot alike.
I'm sorry your run sucked! Nothing seemed to go right. Great job getting through it!!
Oh, Billie, I'm so sorry that you missed the group. I kept looking for you, but figured that you decided not to come. Next time let's exchange cell numbers and I'll make sure we don't leave without you. I'm going to be doing 20 this Saturday, I believe. If it makes you feel better, the first time I went to run with the group I went to the wrong location! I'm more of an introvert, too, but everyone's really nice. You made the first step by just getting out there. And, as for the hubby situation, I feel you. I had a big fight w/ hubby this past weekend b/c I was the ONLY one that took off time for sick baby last week and felt it wasn't fair. I know that I am not the breadwinner, but I don't think it should mean my job doesn't matter. Carrying all the childcare burden is REALLY hard...I went through 2 bottles of wine last week b/c I was so stressed out by it. I don't know how you do it all by yourself! Come out again!!
Post a Comment